A one-day, in-service training was held June 20-21, 2011 at Mt. Airy Resort and Casino in Mount Pocono, PA for extension educators and specialists. Because of diminishing state budgets, there are fewer extension staff with farm management training. The goal of this workshop was to fill the gap and to provide training for the AG professionals who train producers to be better managers during these tough economic times. We have posted the presentations on the website.
"Farm Management During Tough Economic Times" was the first training opportunity for educators in the Northeast since 2003. Topics on agricultural risk and business management included:
- Social media—how to utilize and benefit from social media marketing strategies. How farmers can use Twitter to market their farm.
- Evaluating marketing channel performance–a data-driven extension approach for Agricultural specialist's farm clients
- How farmers should price their products
- Updates on combo and dairy crop insurance
- Fundamental finances and tax information—farming succession planning decisions * Succession planning and recent trends updates
- Programming for small and part-time farmers
- Women in AG programs: what works in the Northeast
Funding was provided by the Northeast Center for Risk Management Education.